Thursday, December 3, 2015

Goose Hunt

Wednesday it warmed up during the day but the early morning was still a bit chill - around 14 degrees when I got up to go out. It's not so bad painting in the cold if the sun is shining on you, but really frigid out there before the sun is up.  I still wanted to go but knew I'd freeze if I tried to stand out in the cold and paint, so I took some backup stuff. Armed with some oil pastels and a pad I hunkered down in the car and drew. I don't like them as much as paint, but they worked in the super cold. This was an experiment - maybe I'll try it with pastels also.

 When I got there geese hunters were just about finished setting up dozens of oversized goose decoys in the nearby field and getting ready to ambush the Canada Geese and they begin to fly toward the lake in the morning. So the "geese" in this picture aren't real.
After the sun rose, flocks of geese starting flying in, but none went near the decoys while I was there. I finished and left before the shooting began.

Geese at Sunrise, 7 x 9, on watercolor paper.


No comments: