Wednesday, November 25, 2015

It's looking more like winter.

We had a little snow last week and this latest plein air painting shows some of that. It was a bit too cold to paint at dawn,  so the morning after the snowfall I went for a walk at sunrise and took my camera - a gorgeous morning with the new snow. Maybe some of those photos will end up being reference for later paintings.

On Sunday it warmed up a bit I went out a little later and did some plein air painting. Thus this painting - "Frozen over", 9 x 12.  Most of the snow is melted by now but more is forecast for tonight - a Thanksgiving present.

Actually I am pretty thankful that I've had a great year of experiences painting outside, many, many nice mornings. I have become especially enamored with sunrises - which is pretty amazing since I tend to gravitate to staying up late and sleeping late. Now I can't wait to get out there and paint, even when it is freezing. The infinite variety of sky and color is just amazing. The changeability that occurs at such a rapid pace during sunrises and sunsets is a real challenge to catch. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get faster at painting outdoors.  Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments: