Monday, July 20, 2015

Sugar Mill

After doing a bunch of dawn paintings, I happened to pass the old sugar mill the other night around sunset and thought it might be fun to paint an evening picture. So Friday I went back at 7:30 and started painting, finishing around 8:15 when I started losing the sunlight behind a low cloud bank. It's kind of odd - I found myself painting things in a reverse order from the morning paintings. In the morning one has to get the sky pretty quick before anything else because it changes so fast, then go on to the foreground.  In the evening I found I left the sky till last - waiting to see what it was going to look like as the sky turned more like a sunset, and putting in the mill and landscape first. Here's the result. I decided to trim this picture down to a different format - now square.  Sugar Mill, 8 x 8, sold.





No comments: